General Application Directions
Applying Titania To Create Self-Cleaning Surfaces
Clean - Sanitize - Protect (CSP)
BEFORE applying Titania to a surface it must be clean, dry and, in the case of Janitorial/Showers/Bathrooms/Kitchens also sanitized for best results. See the 4 step graphic below for preparing a surface BEFORE applying Titania. We prefer to use our degreaser/cleaner Cyclone to clean and our non caustic "dual quat" to clean and disinfect, SafeTGard.
We do not recommend the process below for "appearance surfaces" like the exterior of cars, trucks, boats, motorcycles, RVs - for those surfaces we recommend cleaning and detailing (steps 1-3) with the OEM recommended cleaner and wax. You can also use 4Everguard products like Cyclone (degreaser), Dry Wash and Wax and Graphene Ceramic to clean and detail in preparation for the exteriorTitania application. In the case of soft surfaces like carpets, fabric or upholstery, we suggest using our 4Everguard Velour for the Clean stage.
After reviewing the General Application Directions, we have additional application instructions for:
- Automotive Interior / Exterior
- Small Surfaces
- Cordless Omnifog blower Instructions
- Corded Omnifog blower Instructions
Why? Titania creates a covalent bond to a soft (e.g. fabric) or hard surface (e.g. metal, paint, etc.) The Titania covalent bond is only "as good as" the surface on which it lands. If the surface is dusty or contaminated, Titania may bond to dirt, dust or loose debris that is easily removed, along with the Titania, thereby impairing or losing Titania protection. If Titania bonds to a "loose surface", you lose protection as soon as the surface is wiped or flakes away. We have additional instructions for other applications including auto/truck/RV , marine specific, cycling (and other small surfaces) after you review the general instructions below. We also have specific instructions for the Titania specific blower and Omnifog nozzle here.
Once Surface is Dry and Ready for Titania:
1. Practice operation of the sprayer with water first, using the cross hatch method explained below before applying titania. For big jobs, write down your "spray plan".
2. Always keep a clean Microfiber in pocket (for splatter / over spray - per Spray Technique chapter below). Although titania is not caustic, we recommend safety glasses and a mask. You can read the MSDS here.
3. Reconfirm the surface is ready (clean and dry and in the condition/appearance you want - as we mentioned, Titania will "seal" in that appearance).
4. Remember - Shake capped Titania bottle vigorously for 15 seconds before application (we will keep reminding you of this), then attach bottle to sprayer.
5. Ensure batteries are charged (if using cordless sprayer, a corded sprayer is also available) and you have sufficient batteries to complete the job. A 5 AH battery will operate effective (until 1/4 to 2/4 remains) for about 15-20 minutes. At 2/4 charge remaining, consider a fully charged battery to avoid reduction in spray quality. At 2/4 of battery remaining, always test spray to ensure you're getting the proper spray pattern.
6. Apply Titania...never hurts to re-read the proper application instructions more than once. Read through correct spray technique below before spraying.
7. Always clear the titania specific nozzle with distilled water when finished. Titania, as it dries, could clog the ultra fine orifice. Remove the bottle containing Titania and reseal for future use. Then use another bottle to spray water for 30 seconds. We supply extra bottles for this purpose with the sprayer kits.
8. Remember to avoid touching the applied titania until it is dry. Drying can take 2 to 10 minutes depending on temperature and humidity. Ideal temperatures are above 50 degrees F. Below 50 F, the surface can take longer to dry and you will see a haze until the product is completely dry. We do not recommend spraying Titania below 40 degrees F. Once dry, titania will begin its covalent bonding to the surface and you can touch or or move the object (e.g. car, motorcycle, RV, boat) but avoid using cleaners or chemicals on that surface for 24-48 hours
9. Store Titania in temperature controlled environment, between 50 and 90 degrees, enclosed in the Titania bottle. Allowing it to freeze or heat will compromise its performance
The Correct Spray Technique - Practice Before You Spray
- Only apply it with our patented, ultraquiet Omnifogger head & sprayer (additional recommended spray units may become available, check our website or contact us if you'd like to learn more about future spray units)
- You should be indoors to avoid surface contamination by debris, rain or the effects of wind - wind may carry the Titania spray away from the surface and prevent it from landing and bonding to the intended surface. And you will have to re-spray once you realize most of the product is not landing on the surface!
- Note that we did have a compressor driven sprayer but we are discontinuing the use of that applicator method. Please get in contact with us if you need directions on the previous generation sprayer that requires a compressor.
- Apply using a cross hatch pattern - first horizontal, then vertical - keeping about an 18-24 inch distance from the surface. The mist is slightly visible to the human eye and a small overlap is expected for each direction. To understand the width of the spray pattern, practice on a large mirror or glass surface, USING ONLY WATER with the extra bottle(s). You'll notice how wide the spray is at 18 to 24 inches from the surface. Practice makes perfect.
- Always carry a clean microfiber cloth in your pocket to wipe away overspray, especially any drips on any glass. While applying make only one pass across glass (never cross hatch glass) and avoid over spray that causes drip marks - see photos below. If you get drip marks or splatters, dry with the micro fiber cloth before Titania dries and respray that area. Titania will leave a mist on the surface and dry in minutes. Drip marks prevent the titania from properly activating on the surface you want to treat and may create a foggy surface on glass. If you prefer to be cautious and avoid glass spray/overspray you should wipe clean any glass that has been sprayed with the microfiber cloth.
- Titania dries in minutes, depending on humidity and temp. Between 40 to 50 degrees F you may get a haze that will take 5-10 minutes to dry and clear up. We don't recommend spraying below 40 degrees F.
- When you are finished spraying titania, always attach a bottle with clean water and flush the spray nozzle with water for 60-120 seconds. Do not let the sprayer head sit without flushing with water for longer than 15 minutes - titania will build up over time and begin to clog the spray aperture.
- Close the Titania bottle and store per our instructions above
- (#8 under the header, "Once Surface is Dry and Ready for Titania:"
- In 24-48 hours, Titania has settled & bonded into the hard or soft surface (both nonporous and porous), and the hydroxyl radicals are active and providing the properties listed below, day after day, month after month.
- Subsequent washing, rain, submersion in salt or lake water, daily cleaning with aggressive cleaners or disinfectants will not remove Titania.
- Titania creates an active self-cleaning surface. Titania's hydroxyl radicals mechanically break apart molecules that land on its surface
- You can read more about the fascinating Titania science and testing here.